If you are a member of SC AHEC this course is free with an enrollment key which you may obtain from the AHEC contact person within your organization.
If you are purchasing this course the cost is $30.00 payable through PayPal when you enroll.
Course Description: At the completion of this activity, participants will be able to discuss preterm labor, risk factors for preterm labor and birth, signs and symptoms, the impact and current treatments and medications. The course also discusses counseling patients and current research being implemented to prevent preterm birth.
Instructor: Debby Mills, MS, CNS, RNC-OB
Target Audience: Licensed Nurses and other interested healthcare workers
Learning Outcomes: After completing this activity, the participant will be able to:
• Describe the occurrence of preterm birth in both the U.S. and South Carolina and neonatal morbidity associated with prematurity.
• Discuss risk factors for preterm birth.
• Identify the role of inflammation in preterm labor and birth.
• Discuss common signs and symptoms of preterm labor and the approach for initial assessment.
• Identify the role of the cervix and uterus in preterm labor and current treatment options.
• Identify the impact of preterm premature rupture of membranes at both early and late preterm gestation.
• Describe the current medications utilized for tocolysis and other management strategies.
• Discuss the role of progesterone and antenatal steroids in improving preterm outcomes.
• Discuss the limits of viability and their importance in counseling patients about neonatal outcomes.
• Describe current research being implemented to prevent preterm birth.
Length of Course: 90 minutes
Licensed Nurses: Upstate AHEC is an accredited provider of Nursing Professional Development by the American Nurses Credentialing Centers Commission on Accreditation.
Upon successful completion of this program, participants will receive 1.5 contact hours.
Other: This educational offering provides .015 CEUs ( 1.5 clock hour) by Upstate AHEC and meets SC AHEC Best Practice Standards.
Disclosure Statement: Upstate AHEC’s conflict of interest policy requires speaker(s), the planning committee members, and all others in a position to control this activity of this program to disclose any real or apparent commercial financial affiliations related to the content of this presentation or materials.
The speaker(s), the planning committee members, and all others in a position to control this activity have signed a vested interest form declaring no conflict of interest in this activity.
Provision of this education activity by Upstate AHEC does not imply endorsement by Upstate AHEC or ANCC of any commercial products displayed in conjunction with this activity.
Credit Requirements: To receive CE credit for completing this online course you must complete 100% of the material, receive at least 80% passing grade on post-test and complete the evaluation.
Once you pass the post-test and complete the evaluation you will be able to print a certificate for verification of credit.
The process for enrolling in AHECU courses has changed. Please go to www.upstateahec.org and click the blue AHECU/Distance Education block to register for online courses. There is a tutorial on the web site if you need assistance with the registration process.