Medication Use In Pregnancy: Where Do Opioids Fit In?
CE program brought to you by South Carolina AHEC through AHECU. If you are a member of SC AHEC this course is free with an enrollment key which you may obtain from the AHEC contact person within your organization.
To register go to www.upstateahec.org. If you are purchasing this course the cost is $50 payable when you enroll at www.upstateahec.org. If you require special assistance, please contact the office at 864-349-1160.
Course Description: Instructor: Debby Mills, MS, CNS, RNC-OB
Target Audience: Licensed Nurses and other interested healthcare workers.
Learning Outcomes: After completing this activity, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the mechanism by which medications transfer to the fetus.
- Discuss the classification systems for medications and opioids.
- Discuss the safety concerns for over the counter medications and social drugs.
- Describe the increasing use of drugs by women of reproductive age and the factors that increase the risk of opioid use disorder.
- Discuss the impact of opioid use during pregnancy and the role of healthcare providers.
- Compare the different strategies for screening and treatment of opioid use disorder.
- Discuss newborns exhibiting symptoms of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS).
- Discuss current recommendations for breastfeeding and opioid use.
- Describe childhood outcomes after intrauterine exposure to opioids.
Length of Course: 2 hours
Licensed Nurses: Upstate AHEC is an accredited provider of Nursing Professional Development by the American Nurses Credentialing Centers Commission on Accreditation. Upon successful completion of this program, participants will receive 2.0 contact hours.
Other: This educational offering provides 0.2 CEUs (2.0 clock hour) by Upstate AHEC and meets SC AHEC Best Practice Standards.
Disclosure Statement:Upstate AHEC's conflict of interest policy requires faculty to disclose any real or apparent commercial financial affiliations related to the content of their presentations/materials.
The speaker(s) has/have signed a vested interest form declaring no conflict of interest in educational activities. Provisions of this educational activity by Upstate AHEC does not imply endorsement by Upstate AHEC or ANCC of any commercial products displayed in conjunction with this activity.
Cancellation Policy: No refunds will be given if you have accessed an online course. You may cancel via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone, 864-349-1160.
The process for enrolling in AHECU courses has changed. Please go to www.upstateahec.org and click the blue AHECU/Distance Education block to register for online courses. There is a tutorial on the web site if you need assistance with the registration process.